by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Coods Cafe
Lately I have been in a Mexican mood my friends so I am going to share some recetas mexicanas con ustedes! All weekend long. It is going to be a weekend in Mexico! I made this for our Cinco de Mayo Cooking Demos this year, and it was a favorite among everyone, especially the kitchen staff! It is a great staple protein for tacos, sandwiches and salads.... and is fantastic on its own. Try it out and let me know wahtcha think. And stay tuned for my super hot Salsa Verde tomorrow... they go quite well together....
Yield: 5 to 6 servings
2 lb. seitan (cut into 1in x 1 in slices)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 each jalapeno, deseeded and minced
2 TBSP ground cumin
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 TBSP sea salt
1 TBSP black pepper
2 each limes, juiced
½ tsp organic sugar
1 cup olive oil
2 oz white vinegar
Sriracha Hot Sauce, to taste
1. Slice seitan into 1 inch and 1 inch slices and put into a large bowl.
2. Combine all the marinade together and mix well in a bowl.
3. Pour the marinade over the seitan and make sure to coat each piece well. Marinate for at least 4 hours.
4. Preheat your grill and make sure your grates are brushed with oil for no sticking.
5. Remove the seitan and slightly brush off the excess marinade, but not all of it. That’s the best part!!
6. Place on the grill and sprinkle with sea salt. Turn the piece over after 2 minutes or so.
7. Repeat on the other side.
8. Serve with warmed tortillas, salsa fresca and sliced avocado. Buen provecho!