by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
And the sweet finale to the Weekend of Summer Picnic Recipes is the Red, White & Blue Parfait, which is a basic apple juice sweetened kanten with fresh sliced strawberries topped with a vanilla cream and blueberries, perfectly sweet and not too heavy. A nice ending to a summer picnic.
Red, White & Blue Parfait
Yield: 6 servings (BIG ones)
2 cups apple juice
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup agar agar flakes OR 3 TBSP kuzu, dissolved in 4oz cold water
1 TBSP lemon juice
1. In a medium saucepan, heat juice over medium heat and slowly stir in the agar or dissolved kuzu. Allow the mix to come to a boil. Simmer another 5 minutes or until liquid is clear and smooth.
2. Add berries and lemon juice.
3. Remove from stove and allow to cool for 20 to 25 minutes. Portion in the bottom of your party glasses.
4. Cool and refrigerate 2-3 hours, or until set.
½ cup flour
2 cups soy milk
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla
1. In a small bowl, place the flour and whisk on ½ cup of soymilk and set it aside.
2. In a small saucepan, place the remaining soymilk, salt and whisk together. Add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients and whisk well.
3. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, whisking for another minute.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mix into a bowl.
6. Place wax paper or plastic on top of the pastry cream top prevent a “skin”
7. Cool in the cooler for 3 to 4 hours. Once cool, portion on top of the strawberry kanten (leaving a little room on the top of the party glass).
Garnish with fresh blueberries.