By Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Café
Do you know what today is? Well lemme tell you…. It is National Creamsicle Day! Remember those delicious orange popsicles filled with a creamy substance that just made summer days so awesome?
Well I do. That is why for last month’s Native Community Days we came up with an Orange Creamsicle Cupcake… and man alive they were good. Why not turn a popsicle into a cupcake? Food science, food fusion… or whatever you wanna call it… can produce some pretty tasty treats. So let’s get down to business…. The serious business of making cupcakes, vegan cupcakes.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
2 ¼ cups flour
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup safflower oil
1 cup rice milk
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 each orange, just the zest
1. Place all ingredients together in the mixer and sift/ mix for 2 minutes.
2. Place all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix using a whisk.
3. Slowly add the wet ingredients into mixing bowl and fold in.
4. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin and fill each leaving ¼” from the top.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely…. About 2 hours.
While cooling, make the other stuff….
Orange Cream Filling:
1 cup vegan cream cheese (I like Tofutti, the non-hydrogenated version)
½ cup vegan sour cream (again with the Tofutti non-hydrogenated version)
½ cup vegan powdered sugar
1 each orange, just the zest
Place all the ingredients in a mixer or blender and mix well.
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup vegan butter
4 TBSP vanilla extract
4 cups vegan powdered sugar
1. Place shortening and butter in a mixer bowl and beat until well-combined and nice and fluffy… about 3 minutes give or take.
2. Add vanilla, then gradually add powdered sugar. Stop occasionally to scrape sides of bowl and beat about 3 minutes.
3. Scoop into a plastic pastry bag with a decorating tip (or you can just spread on top of each cupcake.
Candied Orange Peels:
2 each navel oranges
2 oz sugar
1. Using a peeler, peel the outside skin off each orange.
2. Thinly slice the peel, about 1/16 inch slices.
3. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Place peels in a strainer and drop into water for about 5 seconds.
4. Remove the strainer and immediately “shock” the peels in a bowl of ice water.
5. Repeat the ice water “shock” two more times.
6. Then dry the peels out on a sheet pan with clean towels, patting them dry.
7. Place the peels in a bowl and toss with sugar. Make sure each peel is coated with sugar.
8. Line a sheet pan with wax paper, and spread the sugar peels evenly across.
9. Bake at 225 degrees for 17-22 minutes.
Build the Cupcakes!
1. With the bottom of a spoon, make a 1 inch hole in the middle of each cupcake. Then carefully press in the body of the cupcake creating a “cave.”
2. Fill the “cave” with 1 oz of the orange cream using either a piping bag or a small spoon. Fill only to the top, do not overflow.
3. Top with 1 oz of vanilla frosting using either a piping bag or a spoon.
4. Then top with 1 tsp of the candied orange peel.
Native Foods Cafe, Creamsicle Cupcake, vegan cupcake, vegan recipe, vegan food, vegan restaurant