by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
So a few months ago we served these Lemon Blueberry Bars for a Native Community Days limited time dessert…. And they were great. Light, creamy and tangy with a touch of blueberry. Try them out for yourself, and don’t be afraid to change up the swirl. You could do a raspberry, blackberry or even a ginger puree… vegan lemon blueberry bars rule.
Lemon Blueberry Bars
15oz vegan butter (one container Earth Balance)
¾ cup powdered sugar
4 cups flour
1 box Mori-Nu silken tofu, firm
3 ¾ cup organic sugar
6 each lemons, just the zest
1 ¾ cups lemon juice
5 oz flour
5 oz cornstarch
8 oz frozen or fresh blueberries
1 TBSP agave
Blend these two ingredients, then place in a squeeze bottle if you have one. Old ketchup and mustard bottles are great tools for this!
1. Place butter and powdered sugar in mixer and mix on low speed for 2 minutes or until well incorporated.
2. Add in flour, slowly, and mix for another 30 to 40 seconds until the dough forms a ball.
3. Lightly grease a baking pan (18x13), or 2 (9x13) pans, and dust with flour.
4. Spread the dough evenly across the pan.
5. Bake at 350 for 14 to 16 minutes until it is lightly golden. Allow to cool completely.
1. Place the tofu, sugar lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour into the blender. Blend until smooth. Make sure to scrape the sides.
2. Add the cornstarch and blend for 30 more seconds. Make sure the cornstarch is well mixed.
3. Pour the mix over the cooled crust.
4. Using the squeeze bottle of blueberry or a small spoon, place 5 nickel-sized (1-inch in diameter) blueberry dots at the far left of the pan (near the edge). Then 5 more 1 inch apart. Repeat the 1 inches apart pattern until other side is met.
5. Using a fork, zigzag the blueberry puree across the lemon filling, leaving very little yellow color.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 to 22 minutes or until the mix has almost set. If the middle jiggles a bit, AOK!
7. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan recipe, vegan restaurant, vegan lemon bars, vegan blueberry lemon bars