by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
Chocolate Pie! This is a great base recipe that you can keep as is, or add in an extract or cookie crumbles to jazz it up. And tis’ the season, so add in a little peppermint extract and crumble some vegan peppermint candy on top… and voila! You now have Chocolate Peppermint Stick Cream Pie!
Chocolate Cream Pie
1 lb. vegan graham crackers
2 oz vegan butter
13 oz silken tofu
½ tsp sea salt
¾ cup coconut milk
3 Tb coconut oil
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 TBSP agar agar
13 oz coconut milk, chilled (canned and not lite)
to taste, sugar or powdered sugar
1. Chop/Crumble the graham crackers in a food processor. Melt the butter. In a bowl, combine the crackers and the butter.
2. Place the mix at the bottom of a lightly greased pie shell and press down firmly.
3. Place the coconut milk, one TBSP of maple syrup and agar agar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Pull it off the heat and add the coconut oil. Set asides and allow it to cool.
4. Place the tofu, remainder of the maple syrup, cocoa powder and salt in the mixer. Then add in the agar mixture. Strain through a china cap or very fine mesh colander to get ride of any agar particles.
5. Blend on medium high until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour the chocolate mix into the pie crust. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
7. Scoop out the cocnut cream that has separated to the top of the can, and place in a kitchen aid the whip on medium high until fluffy. Add sugar/powdered sugar…taste test!
8. Before serving, top with whipped cream.... then enjoy!
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan chocolate cream pie, vegan recipe