by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
Here it is! Another recipe from our Free Cooking Demos this month… and this vegan Shepherd’s Pie is so darn delicious, I think you should make it for dinner tonight in honor of Meatless Monday, or you can always default to Meatloaf Monday…. vegan of course.
This recipe was part of the Holiday Party Recipes because you can portion into individual ramekins for Mini-Shepherd’s Pie at parties. And you can just have a Shepherd-themed party, and make everyone dress as a shepherd…. no live sheep please. Let them roam free in the pastures, left to their own devices.
On to the food!
1 lb. russet potatoes
3 TBSP vegan butter
¼ cup soymilk
5 cloves roasted garlic
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Peel and dice potatoes into ½ inch cubes and boil until tender and easily pierced with a fork.
2. Drain from the water.
3. Mash the potatoes in a bowl. Add the soymilk, butter, roasted garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Mash & mix well and set aside.
1 cup carrot, diced in small pieces
1 cup Mushroom Shallot Gravy * See recipe below
¾ cup yellow onion, diced in small pieces
¾ cup corn
1 cup peas
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP fresh thyme, chopped
1 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place carrots in a sauté pan and cover half way with water. Cook on high until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onion, and more water if needed, and cook until translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Add corn, peas, cumin, garlic, thyme, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Add 1 cup of gravy. Continue to cook on high heat until all liquid is absorbed.
Combine the Two:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Grease the outside on the pan with about 1 tsp of Vegan Butter.
3. Pour the filling into the bottom of the pan. This will fill it up about ¾ of the way.
4. Spread the mashed potatoes over the filling.
5. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
*Shallot Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 2 cups
3 Tbsp olive oil
5 peeled shallots, finely chopped
1 lb button mushrooms, slice (if you are not fond of mushrooms, just omit them and call it Classic Brown Gravy)
2 cups Simple Deglaze* (recipe to follow)
3 Tbsp kuzu, dissolved in 1/3 cup water
In a saucepan, sauté shallots in olive oil until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add Deglaze and let simmer 2 more minutes. Add kuzu dissolved in water, and stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced (or juice from pressing the garlic)
½ tsp grated fresh ginger
Place everything in a blender and buzzzzzz…..
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan restaurant, vegan recipe, vegan shepherd's pie