by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
Chocolate covered cherries have been a favorite of mine since I was a wee little one. Nowadays, I’ve grown into a very picky chocolate eater. I can’t do dark chocolate and it can be tricky to find good vegan “milk” chocolate out there… let alone a good vegan milk chocolate covered cherry that I miss so dearly from my past. So I made some from scratch!
Since it is definitely not cherry season, I came across canned Bada Bing Cherries. No funny stuff in these!
First I decided to strain the cherries from the jar and pat them dry. Less liquid is best for the chocolate coating process.
Next, I took 1 cup of Enjoy Life Chocolate chips and placed them in a bowl. Using the double boiler method (boiling water in a sauce pan below), I started to slowly melt the chips. Nothing needs to be added to the chips, but make sure to whisk them until they melt, and DON’T over cook them. The chocolate gets gritting and crumby.
From here, dip the cherries into the chocolate and lay them to dry on wax paper. You can place them in the refrigerator to cool faster/hind them, or just let them hang out on the counter for 45 minutes to an hour. They won’t last that long…trust me!
Cherries are healthy too!
Top 9 Reasons to eat 'em:
1. “Super Fruit”- packed with antioxidants
2. Cherries contain melatonin (the natural sleeping aid)
3. They are a great source of Vitamin C, E, Potassium, Magnesium, iron, foliate, and fiber
4. Cherries are a “brain food”, which means they aid in brain health and help prevent memory loss
5. They are a great source of Vitamin A (19 times more than blueberries and strawberries)
6. Cherries help reduce inflammation
7. They are high in fiber, which helps digestion
8. Fresh or dried (no sugar added mind you) and great snacks for those 2013 New Year resolutions
9. Great for runners and swimmers for when those muscles are sore!
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan restaurant, vegan chocolate-covered cherry recipe