by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
So our next round of fun with vegan Super Bowl Snacks is a classic…. Wings! But no chickens harmed in the making of these wings. Thank you seitan.
Wild Card Seitan Wings with Spicy Apricot BBQ Sauce
1 lb, seitan (flavor of your choice, but original is nice), cut into strips
½ cup unbleached white flour
¼ cup garlic powder
¼ cup onion powder
Safflower or grapeseed oil, for frying
1. Place the flour, and spices into a bowl and mix well.
2. Toss the seitan strips in the flour. Coat them well.
3. Heat the oil in a sauté pan until hot. (Good test in to sprinkle flour in it. It the flour begins to sizzle, the pan’s ready)
4. Place the wings into the hot oil carefully, and allow each side to get nice and golden and crispy (about 2 minutes per side).
5. Remove from the pan and allow them to dip dry on a paper towel to remove the excess oil. And enjoy with some dipping sauce!
Spicy Apricot BBQ Sauce
1 lb. apricots (fresh or dried without sulfur added)
3 each tomatoes, quartered
2 cups brown sugar
2 oz molasses
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 each yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP soy sauce
¼ cup hot sauce (choose your HEAT)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp celery salt
1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. (if using fresh apricots, remove the pits and cut in half first)
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
3. Using a hand blender or Vita Mix, blend until smooth.