by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
And another tasty vegan Super Bowl snack for your shindig today! This awesome dip is layered deep with all sorts of delicious goodies like: homemade refried beans, vegan cheese, guacamole, olives, fresh tomatoes, scallions, vegan sour cream and of course homemade Mexican seitan!
Extra Point -8 Layer Dip (No not 7 layer…but 8)
Yield: Enough for 6 to 8 tailgatin' party folk
1 Serving Spicy Beans:
1 oz safflower oil
1 cup yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups organic kidney beans, cooked
1 to 2 each
1 jalapeno, veins and seeds removed
1. Heat the oil, garlic, diced onion and jalapenos in a saucepan until translucent and aromatic. Add the cooked kidney beans and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
2. Using the back of a spoon, roughly mash the mix. You may add a bit a bean liquid or water to do this. Set aside and allow to cool.
1 Serving Taco Meat
1 lb. Mexican Seitan (See Basic Seitan Recipe and add Mexican Spices)
1 oz safflower oil
½ cup yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1. Follow Mexican Seitan recipe. When the loaf is cooled, cut it into pieces small enough to be place into a food processor. Then grind until crumbly.
2. Heat the oil, garlic and diced onions in a pan until translucent. Add the ground seitan and mix well. Allow to cool.
1 Serving Guacamole:
2 each avocados, peeled and pitted
¼ cup red onion, diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 TBSP lime juice
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, microplaned
1. In a bowl, place the avocados, red onions, lime juice, salt and cumin in a bowl. Using a fork, mash until you get a “rustic” looking guac. Fold in the chopped cilantro and micro plane in the garlic.
1 cup vegan sour cream
2 each tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
1 cup black olives, sliced
½ cup scallions, sliced
Get a glass serving dish, pie shell or bowl to make your layers. They can be in any order you want.
Here is what I did:
-Spicy Beans on the bottom
- Mexican Seitan
- Sour Cream
-Best Guac Ever
-And garnish with Scallions
Serve in a big dish with a bowl of chips (or a giant spoon!) or portion into samll ramekins for individual servings: