By Alex Placencia
Native Foods Cafe
The recipe for my last blog was homemade jam. This week I thought I would add to that a compliment of homemade crackers. Not only is it a cheaper option than something from the store, but you also know what you’re eating!.. and it’s all good stuff – no preservatives, processed grains, or refined sugars. Pack it up with your jams and go to a picnic in the park.
Happy Summer!!! Enjoy!!!
Whole Wheat Flour 2 Cup
Raw Sugar 1 Tablespoon
Salt 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Ground Flax Seeds 1 Tablespoon
Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoon, cubed
Rice Milk 2⁄3 Cup
Olive Oil 1⁄2 Teaspoon
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and flax seeds.
3) Put the butter in and rub it into the dry mixture until it is coarse texture.
4) Pour in the milk and stir while pouring. If the dough is too dry add a little more milk or butter to make it a little creamier.
5) Dust some flour on hands and knead the dough into a ball.
6) In a sheet pan, place wax paper and then the dough on top.
7) With a rolling pin, flatten the dough until it is about 1/8 of an inch thick
8) Brush with olive oil on top
9) Cut the rolled dough with a pizza cutter or knife
10) Bake it in the oven for 10 minutes, rotate and bake for 10 minutes more.
11) After 10 minutes, slightly open the oven doors and leave it semi open and allow to cook for another 30 minutes