By Steve Petusevsky
Director of Culinary Innovation
Native Foods Cafe
Singapore Cucumber Salad
Native Foods uses this image as courtey of kblog.lunchboxbunch.com.
I've been seeing seedless mini cucumbers everywhere lately. They are also called Persian cucumbers. Feel free to substitute Kirby cucumbers in the same quantity. Mirin (rice wine), sriracha sauce and sambal oelek or chili paste with garlic can be found in Asian markets and some supermarkets.
• 6 mini seedless cucumbers or 1 large seedless cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias
• 12 red, yellow or orange mini-bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced or 1 / 2 yellow bell pepper and 1 / 2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
• 1 / 2 cup thin-sliced red onions
• 1 navel orange, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
• 2 tablespoons mirin
• 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
• 2 teaspoons brown or black sesame seeds
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and allow to sit 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 servings.
vegan, vegan restaurants, vegan recipes