by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
For the latest Cooking Demos in June, we did a Rock ‘n’ Roll theme… and it was freakin’ awesome! For the dessert, I decided to make a super a delicious chocolatey brownie in honor of the Runaways Cherry Bomb!
Cherry Bomb Brownies
¾ cup organic, unbleached flour
½ cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
½ cup organic cocoa powder
½ cup organic cane sugar
½ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup vegan butter
3 TBSP non-dairy milk
1 cup chopped cherries (fresh- pitted or canned-rinsed)
4 tsp cherry juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
3 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 oz warm water
2 ½ cups organic powdered sugar
½ cup vegan butter
3 TBSP cherry juice (for color)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Is a small bowl, whisk the Egg replacer and the water together until fluffy, about 1 minute.
3. Place the butter and sugar in the mixer. Using the whisk attachment beat them together until light and fluffy. Then add the “egg” mix, vanilla extract, melted chocolate and cherry juice.
4. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Then add ½ cup at a time of the dry mix to the wet mix. The batter will be thick!
5. Fold in the cherries and the walnuts. Also mix in the milk. This will help thin it out.
6. Transfer the batter into a greased pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the brownies set. Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
7. Place the butter in the mixer with a whisk and beat until fluffy. Add the cherry juice and powdered sugar and continue to beat until the frosting is lump free. Or you can beat by hand...
8. Frost the brownies and enjoy!