By Alex Placencia
Native Foods Cafe
Chile rellenos is one of my favorites. A traditional Mexican dish, it gained popularity during the period of Lent, in which Catholics would not eat meat on Fridays. I have made a vegan version here that is pretty amazing. Also fun for summertime not only because of the lime crema sauce, but you can prep the peppers on a grill! (Which vegans just don’t get to do enough of in the summer). I hope you enjoy!
Chile Rellenos Stuffed with Vegetable Estofado and Lime Crema
Zucchini, Diced 1 Count
Yellow Squash, Diced 1 Count
Yellow Onion, Diced 1 Count
Mushrooms, Diced 2 Cups
Potato, Peeled and Diced 1 Count
Garlic, Chopped 1 Tbs
Fresh Cilatntro, Chopped 2 Tbs
Vegan Cheese, Shredded ½ Cup
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Olive Oil 1 Tbs
1) On a grill or gas stove top, place poblano peppers and to cook for about 1 minute on each side, until the skin gets charred and blistered.
2) Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool.
3) In a sautee pan over medium heat, place the potatoes and ¼ tbs of garlic and ¼ tbs of oil in and cook until they start to brown.
4) While the potatoes are browning, you can start to peel the peppers. Place under cool water and just slide and pull the skin off with your fingers
5) After the potatoes are soft and browned, remove and place in a large mixing bowl.
6) Over medium heat, cook the onions ¼ tbs of garlic and ¼ tbs of oil and cook until they become translucent. Remove and place in the mixing bowl.
7) Repeat with the squash and zucchini ¼ tbs of garlic and ¼ tbs of oil. Remove when cooked and place in bowl.
8) Repeat with the mushrooms ¼ tbs of garlic and ¼ tbs of oil and add to the mixing bowl.
9) Toss all veggies and mix with cheese and 2 Tbs of cilantro
10) Slice the top of one of the peppers lengthwise and carefully sever the seed sac from the stem without breaking apart the pepper.
11) Stuff the peppers with the vegetable cheese mix
12) Place the stuffed pepper on a plate, (maybe with some refried beans on the bottom!) and drizzle with the lime crema. Garnish with cilantro if you like, and ENJOY!
Veganaise ½ Cup
Lime Juice ½ Count
1) Place veganaise, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.