By Steve Petusevsky
Director of Culinary Innovation
Native Foods Cafe
Harvest Wheat Berry Salad
- *wheat berries (dry), 2 cup
- *Pepitas (Pumkin Seed Kernals), 1 cup
- Apples, 1 cup, quartered or chopped
- *Berkley & Jensen Dried Apricots, 0.50 cup
- *Aldi's Dried Cranberries, 0.50 cup
- *Fresh Parsley, 1 cup
- *Canada Dry Ginger Ale, 4 oz
- *Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 tbsp
- *Salt - Iodized Sea Salt, 0.50 tsp
- Pepper, black, 0.5 tsp
- *Ground Cinnamon, 0.50 tsp
- *Ground Nutmeg, 0.5 tsp
- *Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
- **Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp
2. Put 7 cups water into a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add wheat berries, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thoroughly cooked about 40 minutes. (Wheat berries retain a firm, chewy texture when cooked.) Drain and let cool.
3. Transfer wheat berries to a large bowl. Add pumpkin kernels, apples, apricots, cranberries and parsley.
4. To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well. Add to salad ingredients and mix well. Serves 8.